Difference Makers, “Having Fun Doing Good in One Day”*:
Co-Leaders – Connie Berding, 513-675-4565, and Barb Magee, 814-504-3703
The group organizes volunteer activities that “make a difference in a day”. Activities range from helping at the Children’s Center, preparing welcome home bags for servicemen returning to the US, beach clean-up walks, to valentines for the elderly. Each year the group chooses what activities they wish to do to help the community.
- Kick-off session scheduled for Difference Makers at Wexford Clubhouse on October 10 at 10:30 a.m. for an organization meeting
- Those interested in helping to organize the activities suggested on October 10th will be invited to a planning meeting on October 30th at 10 am in the Palmetto Electric Community Room.
- $5 sign-up fee for interest group sign up at September luncheon – all participants must re-sign for the year and pay the fee.
- See the activities from last year below. Come Join the FUN FROM GIVING !
2017-2018 Difference Makers Activities:
- Volunteered at The Children’s Center/donated books
- Stuffed envelopes for Memory Matters mailings
- Participated in Work Day at Honey Horn Camellia Garden
- Collected/bagged toys donated for Children’s Center/Deep Well
- Collected items/packed baskets for returning military with “Operation Morale Support”
- Created favors/cards for Meals on Wheels clients
- Made/collected cookies at WAHHI Luncheon, distributed to 1st responders
- Planned/presented Bingo Party at Brookdale Assisted Living Center
- Volunteered at History Day (Heritage Center event)
- Collected/delivered food items for Sandalwood Food Pantry
- Created/stocked roadside Little Library boxes for Boys’ and Girls’ Club and St Luke’s (NOC program site)
- Helped with SOAR interaction parties for adults with special needs
FUN RAISING FUNDS*~:
Leader: Tamar Avrit, 517-344-1624
Click here to sign up online
Come join this inaugural interest group which is focusing on the sources and methods WAHHI uses to raise funds to support the youth awards and our WAHHI Charitable Foundation grants. Currently, there are more needs identified in the community than WAHHI has as fund capacity. We seek any woman interested in and experienced with fund development; and anyone who has an interest and passion in helping serve as outreach coordinators for various fundraising events throughout the year. Come join us!
No Sew Blankets for Family Promise*~:
Leader – Mary Ruberti, 843-802-4319.
The Club will meet sometime in NOVEMBER 2018 (date to be announced)
WHERE: TO BE ANNOUNCED
WHY: Why do I work so hard to form this GROUP?
Because my heart was broken when I delivered 37 such blankets to Family Promise. Family Promise is an organization that helps the Homeless. They work with 7 different organization, around HHI, who feed and house the homeless but this is only for a week at a time. The truth is that one week burns out their volunteers, and Family Promise wants to encourage the parents to work hard to get jobs (they don’t want them to get too cozy). BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS. There is no stability in these kid’s lives. No wall to even pin-up a poster! Thus the blankets. These blankets are theirs forever! Plus, warmth and something to snuggle in ( like Linus).
HOW: You will need two pieces of fleece the same size. Their length should be either: 1 1/4 yards, 11/3 yards, 1 1/2 yard or for a teenager or Adult 2 yards. I suggest the top be a print or plaid (age appropriate) and the bottom a solid color. Solid colors are less expensive. Also, you will need a pair of scissors and a ruler to measure the strips and keep your lines even. At my last class, one person made the whole blanket (for an Adult) in 1 12 hours. That easy. For more info call at 843-802-4319 AFTER Oct. 24, 2018.
* These groups require a fee & may have additional fees for supplies, extra field trips, meals, etc.
~ New this Year